Cold Sweat is a 1970 French/ Italian international co-production starring Charles Bronson and directed by Terence Young. It is based on the 1959 novel Ride the Nightmare by Richard Matheson. It was filmed in and around Beaulieu-sur-Mer.
During the Korean War, Joe Moran, a U. S. Army sergeant, was convicted for striking a colonel. He was imprisoned in Germany. In the military prison he encountered his former company commander Captain Ross, and a fellow soldier who served under Joe called Vermont. They had been imprisoned for black marketeering and hijacking army vehicles. Joe agrees to escape with them. The escape is organised by a former French Foreign Legionnaire named "Katanga". Things go according to plan until Katanga kills a curious German police officer. Frightened and disgusted by the murder, Joe escapes by himself, abandoning his friends and Katanga, who are recaptured.
Years later, Joe is known as Joe Martin. He makes a legitimate living renting boats in the South of France. He lives with his wife, Fabienne, and 12 year old daughter. Things are going fine for Joe. When Joe's picture appears in a local news story, Ross, Vermont and Katanga appear. Now wanted drug smugglers, they want revenge on Joe and use of his rental operation to move contraband. To ensure Joe's cooperation, they kidnap his wife and daughter and hold them hostage.
The film was known for an extended car chase with an Opel Commodore GS/E I6 involving the Bronson character's attempt to get a doctor to a wounded drug dealer in exchange for his wife.
- Charles Bronson as Joe Moran aka Joe Martin
- Liv Ullman as Fabienne Martin
- James Mason as Captain Ross
- Jill Ireland as Moira
- Jean Topart as Katanga
- Michel Constantin as Vermont aka Whitey
- Luigi Pistilli as Fausto Gelardi
- Yannick Delulle as Michèle Martin (as [Yannick de Lulle])
- Paul Bonifas as the doctor
- Sabine Sun as the nurse
- Roger Mailles as a poker player
- Nathalie Varallo as Violet
- Remo Mosconi as Marius
- Dominique Crosland as the girl scout leader
- Yannick Deheth uncredited
- Gabriele Ferzetti uncredited
- David Hess
- Michel Constantin (voice) (uncredited)
- Bob Ingarao as a fisherman (uncredited)